Early Math Family Engagement Project
California Head Start Training for Family Service and Education Program Leaders
CHSA is pleased to announce a grant which is funding a new training opportunity for Family Service and Education teams. In this intensive 2 day training, teams work together to develop a Family Engagement plan for their agency and receive high quality early math training and materials to take back to their families and staff. The Early Math Family Engagement training will be provided by Master Trainers throughout California, covering the 9 clusters around the state.
The Early Math Family Engagement training is intended to integrate teaching staff, family service staff, home based and other staff who work with children and their families to:
- Increase awareness of the importance of early math development in children
- Review research that supports early math development
- Demonstrate hands-on activities for families and staff that encourage everyday math experiences for children
- Help programs develop Family Engagement Action Plans that will support the Home-School connection
The only cost to programs is for food and materials.
Why Early Math Training?
Early Math Family Engagement is based on the following core principles:
- The Family and Child Experience Survey (FACES- 2003 and 2009) show a decline in math gains for 3 and 4 year olds in Head Start programs.
- DRDP-10 assessment data show that Math Concepts are often the areas that need the most improvement.
- Research shows that there is a Math Knowledge gap at Kindergarten entry for lower SES families (Denton & West, 2002).
- Children’s Math Knowledge at K-entry predicts 5th grade achievement in Math and Reading (Claessens, Duncan, and Engel, 2009).
- Many Staff and Families struggle with math concepts, and may be overlooking every day math opportunities.
Infants and Toddlers are learning math concepts far earlier than most adults realize.
- Including Math Talk and Math Learning can increase CLASS scores in the area of Instructional Support.
Early Math Family Engagement Initiative made possible by a generous grant from the Heising-Simons Foundation
To receive all the latest information, as soon as it is available, please join the CHSA Listserve.
The California Head Start Association is the unified voice providing leadership and advocacy for the Head Start community.
The California Head Start Association will be an important strategic partner representing Head Start interests in California and the nation.